True Vine Baptist Church
NEWPORT NEWS, VA
“WHERE THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD LIVES”
Thanksgiving: The Season of Harvest
Rev. Jesse L. Simon, Jr.
[Click to enlarge]
25th Anniversary, Sunday, October 28, 2018 @ 3 pm. Guest speaker Rev. Jesse L. Simon, Jr. and his congregation from the The Word Works Worship Center (T3WC) of Newport News, VA.
Honoring Our Veterans
On Veterans Day, we express our gratitude to those who served and continue to preserve our legacy of freedom.
To our fellow veterans: Thank you! We appreciate you, and praise GOD for your selfless service.
The Power of Gratitude
We have so much to be grateful for in this life.
Each and every day. But reality is that sometimes constant life demands, struggles, and worries give more room to defeat than to a heart of thanks. Or we forget, in the midst of busyness and pressures, just to pause and give thanks, for all that God has done, and continues to do in our lives.
Sometimes it really is a sacrifice to offer praise and thanks. We may not feel like it. We’re struggling. We’re weary. Or maybe, we feel like He let us down. We think God seems distant, like he’s far away, or doesn’t really care about what’s troubling us. Painful life blows and losses might have recently sent us spiraling.
But here’s what can make a lasting difference. We have a choice, every day, to give him thanks. And with a heart of thanksgiving, we realize that no matter what we face, God doesn’t just work to change our situations and help us through our problems. He does more. He changes our hearts. His power, through hearts of gratitude and focused minds on Him, releases the grip our struggles have over us. We’re strengthened by His peace, refueled by His joy.
God’s Word is filled with many reminders of how powerful and vital a thankful heart can be in this world.
“O Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; Let us shout joyfully to the rock of our salvation. Let us come into his presence with thank-sgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!
For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods.”
The Power of a Grateful Heart
Seven Things It Can Do:
– It gets our eyes off ourselves, and helps us to focus back on God.
– It reminds us we’re not in control, but that we serve a Mighty God who is. It keeps us in a place of humility and dependency on Him, as we recognize how much we need Him.
– It helps us to recognize we have so much to be thankful for, even all of the little things, which often we may forget to thank Him for…but they really are the biggest, most important things in this life. It takes our attention off of our problems and helps us instead to reflect on, to remember, the goodness of His many blessings.
– It reminds us that God is the Giver of all good gifts. We were never intended to be fully self-sufficient in this life. A grateful heart reminds us that ultimately God is our Provider, that all blessings and gifts are graciously given to us by His hand.
– A heart of gratitude leaves no room for complaining. For it is impossible to be truly thankful and filled with negativity and ungratefulness at the same time.
– It makes the enemy flee. The forces of darkness can’t stand to be around hearts that give thanks and honor to God. Our praise and thanksgiving will make them flee.
– It opens up the door for continued blessings. It invites His presence. Our spirits are refreshed and renewed in Him. God loves to give good gifts to His children. He delights in our thankfulness and pours out His Spirit and favor over those who give honor and gratitude to Him.
Helping Hands Ministry is asking for turkeys and canned goods donations.
Thank you for making this an annual success!
Linda Eley 11/7
Irvin D. Melvin 11/13
Our Known Sick and Shut-In
“I was sick and ye visited me.” Matt 25:36b
Notify the Church Clerk of any member who is sick. 757-561-9320
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
1 John 4:18 KJV
Sunday School 9:30
Corporate Prayer 10:35
Morning Worship 11:00
Evening Bible Study 6:30
Bread Ministry 11-2
Choir Rehearsal 7:00
Van Driver for the Month:
Dea. Larry Powell Call: 757.660.2469